What to do if there is a blockage

We repair and clean the pipes that carry waste water from your street to our treatment works. Property owners are responsible for the pipes in the homes and the ones connecting to our sewers.

Who is responsible?


A typical property connected to the sewer. We are responsible for blockages in the main sewer pipe (pink) and customers are responsible for the pipes up to the property boundary (green).

Semi-detached or terraced

In some cases you might share a pipe with your neighbour. In that case we are responsible for the shared section (pink) and homeowners are responsible for their own connecting pipes (green).


If you live in a block of flats, we are responsible for pipes from the property boundary (pink) and management company or owners are responsible for internal and connecting pipes (green).

A brief summary

It may be the property owner’s responsibility if:

  • Only one home is experiencing problems
  • The property doesn’t share a drain with any other property
  • There is no other flooding in the local area.
It may be our responsibility if we have public sewers in the area and at least one of the following applies:
  • The problem is outside your property boundary
  • More than one property is experiencing problems

How we can help?

When you call us to report a blockage, we’ll let you know when we will be able to get to you. Depending on the severity of the blockage, this could range from one to 48 hours.

We'll confirm if the pipe belongs to us, and if it does, we'll clear it for free.

Contact us

If you think there is a blockage or if your property has been flooded by our public sewer, please call us on 0800 316 9800 and one of our team will be here to help, 24 hours a day.

If your hearing or speech is impaired, you can contact us using the Next Generation Text Service (NGTS).

Also in this section

What causes blockages? Bin it - don't block it Meet our sewer flushers