Who is responsible for drains and sewers?

The property owner is responsible for the repair and maintenance of the wastewater facilities and pipework, within the home and up to the point where the pipework meets the public sewer.

If you rent the property then you should also contact the landlord who may be the local council, housing association or a private landlord.

Read more about misconnections on the ConnectRight website

If you think there is a problem, get in touch so we can investigate and advise you appropriately.

Call us

Please call our 24-hour Customer Centre on 0800 3169 800.

0800 numbers are free to call from UK landlines, but may be chargeable from mobiles. Rates vary depending on your network and call plan.

If your hearing or speech is impaired, you can contact us using the Next Generation Text Service (NGTS).

Also in this section

Foul and surface water sewers Are you polluting? Identifying misconnections Threats to the sewer system