Advice for property owners

Problems with your sewer pipes

We're here to help you understand which pipes have transferred, and which pipes are still your responsibility. 

This will help avoid unnecessary call-outs, which we may charge you for.

You will still be responsible for any internal plumbing and the section of pipe leading to the transferred sewer.

If you think you have a problem with a sewer pipe or drain, please carry out the following steps as it’s important that you try and identify where the problem is as this will save you unnecessary callouts.

  • If you have a shared sewer, try asking your neighbours if they have a problem.
  • If they don’t, it’s likely that the problem is on your section of pipe or waste plumbing, meaning you will need to resolve it yourself.
  • If your neighbours do have a problem, it may be on a shared section of pipe.

Contact us

Call us

Please call us on 0800 316 9800 and one of our team will be here to help, 24 hours a day.

If your hearing or speech is impaired, you can contact us using the Next Generation Text Service (NGTS).

To help us continually improve the quality of our service we record all calls.

Email us

Use our online form to send us an enquiry.

Online enquiry form

Write to us

Thames Water
PO BOX 286
SN38 2RA

We will respond to all letters within ten working days.

Useful websites

For further information about the private sewer transfer and the background behind the decision, please see the links below.

Visit the Consumer Council for Water website

Visit the Defra website

Also in this section

How are you affected? Private pumping stations Frequently asked questions