Do I have a leak?

The following issues could all be signs you might have a leak:

  • Wet or damp patches in the garden during a dry spell
  • Some dirt, or air in the water
  • Some cracking in paved areas
  • Potholes or sinkholes appearing
  • A noticeable reduction in water pressure
  • Metered customers might see an unexpected increase in usage

If you have a water meter, you can check for a leak by following these steps:

  1. Turn your inside stop valve off (usually under sink). Don’t use any water appliances whilst water is turned off
  2. Take a meter reading and write it down
  3. Wait 30 mins
  4. Take meter reading again and compare
  5. If the readings are the same, you do not have a leak. If they are different, you have a leak somewhere between the meter and the inside stop valve.

What's the best way to fix your leak?

Whether you're a homeowner or a tenant, if there's a leak on your supply pipe it's important you get it fixed as soon as you can.

  1. You may have a specific home emergency policy in place which covers plumbing and drainage. If so, your leak may already be covered in this policy, so it's worthwhile checking in the first instance.
  2. Check your home insurance. Some insurance policies will cover leaks, so check your cover, as often, insurance companies are able to offer fast repairs.
  3. Pay a plumber. If you don't want to contact your insurers, you might want to speak to a local plumber. If you need a hand finding a plumber that comes well-recommended, you can check our list
  4. If the leak is not covered under your home emergency cover, insurance, or you can’t employ a professional, we may be able to help you. Please call 0800 714 614 for more information

For more information about your responsibility to fix leaks on your water supply pipe, you can look at our leakage codes of practice

Leaks on metered supplies

Water is a valuable resource, so it’s important they’re fixed quickly. If you fix your leak within six weeks, we’ll cover the cost of the leak on your bill to make sure you’re not out of pocket. Please fill out a leak allowance form and return to us when you’ve fixed your leak. We’ll review your claim and, if approved, credit your account with any money that would have been added to your bill as a result of your leak.

We're responsible for the mains, which carry water around the region, and for the 'communication pipe' - the one linking your supply pipe to our water main. We look after our water mains and pipes with regular maintenance and repairs where they're needed. We're also working through a programme to reduce the number of leaks and bursts by replacing old mains in poor condition.

Generally, you're responsible for the water supply pipe that runs from the boundary of your property into your home, as well as all your internal pipes and fittings.

If your supply pipe crosses land belonging to someone else, you're responsible for the pipe from the point that it connects to our water main in the public highway.

Sometimes a single supply pipe serves more than one property - a 'shared supply'. This is more common when buildings are close together, in a side-by-side- layout, such as on a terraced street. This means you and your neighbours have joint responsibility for maintaining the shared part of the pipe.

If you think you have a leak on your shared supply, please call us on 0800 714 614 and we’ll be able to help you.

Also in this section

How we find and fix leaks